Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekends take REAL FOCUS

This is my 3rd weekend in a row staying focused and on track. It takes real forethought and confidence to make it through challenging food related functions.

Saturday was a family function that is always built around a meal. My sister called to say Mom was thinking about serving lasagna and we would all contribute something to compliment that, she thought maybe garlic bread and salad and some form of dessert.

Pasta has always been a "red light" food for me. Stopping at one serving is tough plus I am avoiding white flour products now so...this would have been a challenge. I said that thats fine with me but I would bring alternate food for myself because I would not be eating lasagna. I normally try to go with the flow but I knew that this had the potential to sabatoge my success. God Bless my family because the next thing I knew, the menu was Swiss Chalet. I ordered a quarter chicken breast with salad. Although others were still having fries with their chicken and nachos (my favourite), I felt completely in control and satisfied. My Mom had prepared delicious Rhubarb and set a portion aside with no sugar for me that I sprinkled a little splenda on. They had theirs on ice cream with jello but I savoured every bite of my healthy version.

Today could have been challenging again, as we attended a Strawberry Social...You can imagine what was served at that function. You guessed it strawberries and ice cream. HMMMM... I got creative and brought with me a vanilla yogurt in my purse and asked for just the strawberries and I poured my yogurt over top. It was delicious and again I conquered what has in the past defeated me.

The heat could have stopped my workout today but I really wanted to get it in there so I did some ab work at home and met up with a Curves member (Ronda) who is going to join me in the half marathon. We met at Oaks Park for 40 minutes of run/walk intervals. We were drenched with sweat afterwards but it was a great feeling of accomplishment once we were done.

1 comment:

Middlesister said...

Good for you! Those are tough times -when there are family get-togethers